Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Nappyheaded

In the wake of this Rutgers/Imus hullaballoo, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. For those of you who haven't crawled out from under your rock lately (sometimes it's just better to stay buried!), I'm talking about shock jock Don "not funny anymore" Imus' comment about the Rutgers women's basketball team being a bunch of "nappyheaded hoes." I mean, to me the most offensive part is that it's simply not funny. If you're going to insult a group of people, at least be funny about it. So I did a Google images search to see what these nappyheads looked like. First off, let me say that I think the term "nappyhead" should be positive. There have been many mornings when I wake up and think, yeah, I really dig my nap. If I were a black woman, I'd have a big ol' fro, Foxy Brown style. The bigger, the better. But Imus meant it in a mean, schoolyard bully way, and that's just not cool. When I typed in "Rutgers basketball" into the images search, I found this:


How cool is that? Here's what the web site says about the women in this photo:


"Women's basketball became a popular sport for high school girls in the early twentieth century. These Ridgewood High School girls are dressed in the middie blouses, knee-length bloomers, and dark stockings that were considered appropriate athletic attire. Holding the basketball is Elizabeth Brackett, team captain, who became a doctor with a practice in Nutley."


We learn something new every day. Oh, and Imus should be fired.

No comments: