Thursday, April 5, 2007

I've got a girl crush.

Her name is Lily Allen and she is fan-freakin-tastic. She's a little bit nasty, a little bit Donna Reed, a little bit Run DMC, and a lot funny. So far I've had her song "Smile" stuck in my head for about a week, totally diggin' on her accent and witty ways. I bought her CD, Alright, Still, last night and listened to it this morning.*


Even tho I'm ten years older than she, I can relate to all of her songs. She sings about being jilted; about breaking up with her a-hole boyfriend; about her idiosyncratic grandmother; about being chatted up at a club. And when she smiles she reminds me of a young Goldie Hawn from Laugh In. Just check out these bangs!



Lily got her start the ultimate D.I.Y. way. She left school to strike out on her own with a singing career. Her initial form of marketing? Uploading songs to her profile on Myspace. Next thing she knew, she's got a record deal and is performing on Saturday Night Live.

My favorite song from Alright, Still is probably "Nan Your a Window Shopper," a snarky homage to her grandmother. Just read these lyrics:

You get up in the morning and you like your tea milky
You fumble for your glasses coz without 'em you cant see
It's funny how I come round your house and I'm 20
And I still have to wear all the presents you sent me
I walk into your kitchen, everything's got a label
You done your Christmas shopping and we're only in April
And you won't leave the house unless your wearing your thermals
You're covered all in cat hair and you're stinking like Strepsils

Who knows what Strepsils are? Probably a Brittish form of Preperation-H or Ben-Gay. Either way, the album is killer.

Check her sites here: http://www.lilyallenmusic.com/ or http://www.myspace.com/lilymusic

Watch the "Smile" video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyTOROlo9E

And here she talks about body image and eats a chili cheese dog with extra jalapenos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3xvItAAUK8

* This is a repost from my original blog at Myspace with a few edits hither and thither.

No comments: