Friday, June 8, 2007

How Borders Changed My Lunch Hour

I went to Borders on my lunch break today to spend my birthday gift card from Laura and Neil, and I knew exactly what I wanted. I wanted the book I could have written at age 14:


For five years, Sassy magazine instilled in me a sense of purpose during those drippy, messy, ugly teenage years. It inspired me early on with a sense of the D.I.Y. lifestyle - a sense that lives with me to this day.

So I find it on the shelf, and with a shock of dismay notice that Borders had "up-priced" it from the $18 list price to a special Borders price of $20. Wha...? The list price is always what book stores charge (perhaps less, but never more) and I thought, Okay, I'll just let the manager know it's miss-priced.

I went to the front, requested a manager, and waited nearly 10 minutes before she showed up. After going back and forth with her, she ultimately told me that Borders up-prices (her word) books all the time even tho a) retail dogma states that the customer is ALWAYS entitled to the lowest marked price - regardless, and b) who in the heck "up-prices" books when a lower price is permanently imprinted on the product? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So I'm sad to say that Borders and I have broken up. As soon as I spend the remaining $17.48 balance on my gift card (I did end up buying a journal for my metalsmithing class) I don't plan to step inside a Borders again, unless it's to loiter around the magazine rack. In the meantime, I'll cull the pages of Amazon.com until I find a copy of How Sassy Changed My Life for a meager $12.24. Take note Borders: the prices should go down, not up.

No comments: