Thursday, July 26, 2007

Fiddleheads: An Introduction

My latest obsession is fiddleheads. I love the name, the color, and the natural design of these northeastern weirdos. According to Wikipedia, fiddleheads are the unfurled fronds of a young fern harvested for food consumption. I have yet to try them, and something tells me I might barf if I do. But they make for excellent design since I've always loved the curly Q look.

Here's my first encounter with fiddleheads. Jason and I were in a Whole Foods in Swampscott, Mass. We were on our way to Cape Ann to visit a lighthouse, the shores, and Rockport's famous galleries and shops.


Had Jason and I not been in our rented, fabulously sinful black Mercedes (see how I worked that in?) and on our way to Rockport, we might have been moved to buy a pound of fiddleheads and make something like this:




Again, I don't know that I would like them, but I'm willing to try anything green once. After our trip I read up on fiddleheads and ever since have been in love with the little green oddballs. Here's a shot of a family of fiddleheads in the Shawangunk Ridge in the Catskills of New York State. So adorable!!

No comments: